If you love books and collecting, you might be interested in the Betty and Edgar Sweren Student Book Collecting Contest, run by the Sheridan Libraries here at JHU.
About the Contest:
The Betty and Edgar Sweren Student Book Collecting Contest recognizes the love of books and the delight in shaping a thoughtful and focused book collection. All undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in a degree program at Johns Hopkins are eligible to enter. All entries are welcome except past winning collections.
The competition includes a graduate and undergraduate division and winners in each divisionare awarded:
• $1,000 First Place
• $500 Second Place
• $250 Honorable Mention
• Display of selected titles from the winning collections at the Milton S. Eisenhower Library
• A one year honorary membership in the Friends of the Johns Hopkins Libraries
Awards will be presented to the winners spring, 2013. All contestants will be notified by mail of the names of the contest winners.
Each entry will be judged on the extent to which the items in the collection form a coherent pattern of inquiry and/or represent a well defined field of interest. Additionally, consideration will be given to how well the collection reflects the student’s stated goals and interests.
1. Any student, undergraduate or graduate, enrolled in a degree program at the Johns Hopkins University (Schools of Advanced International Studies, Arts & Sciences, Carey Business School, School of Education, Engineering, Medicine, Nursing, and Public Health and the Peabody Institute of Music) is eligible to enter.
2. All items must be owned and collected by the student who enters the contest.
3. A collection need not consist of, or include, rare or valuable books. Paper-bound books may be included. Although the focus is books, the collection may include other media that supports the collection.
4. Collections can be on any subject. Nonacademic subjects are welcome (past entries include Colonial America, Feminism, Running, Music, and more).
Check out the full information on the contest over at the Sheridan Libraries blog – bonus points (not in the contest, just in general) for anyone who knows where the headline photo is from…
- Another Failed Charter: Do These Schools Have a Future? - August 15, 2013
- SOE Commencement: Student Speaker Eduardo Caldera’s remarks - May 28, 2013
- Life Doesn’t Frighten Me At All: Play Therapy with Traumatized Children - May 14, 2013
- Your Take: Big happenings with Baltimore schools this week - May 7, 2013
- Join the CODC Conversation - April 2, 2013
- Imagine: Henderson Hopkins and the new model for education - January 9, 2013
- Baltimore Sun Op-Ed: Three steps for school reform in 2013 - January 8, 2013
- Student Book Collecting Contest kicking off - December 7, 2012
- Video: “Here comes the Common Core” discussion at SOE - December 5, 2012
- Poll: Who do you think would be a better President for educators? - October 24, 2012