On a sunny and warm Baltimore afternoon, the SOE celebrated the groundbreaking of the Henderson Hopkins School in East Baltimore with a street fair and visits from several local dignitaries, including Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, City Council President Jack Young, Superintendent Andres Alonzo and JHU President Ron Daniels.
Students who will be attending the new school when it opens in 2013-14 jammed the street fair, which featured games and prizes as well as face-painting and educational exhibits as the sun set over Baltimore.
A selection of photos and videos from the event are available below, and much more will be posted when the official photographs come in later this week.
(All photos and video by John Robertson and Sean Burns)
- Another Failed Charter: Do These Schools Have a Future? - August 15, 2013
- SOE Commencement: Student Speaker Eduardo Caldera’s remarks - May 28, 2013
- Life Doesn’t Frighten Me At All: Play Therapy with Traumatized Children - May 14, 2013
- Your Take: Big happenings with Baltimore schools this week - May 7, 2013
- Join the CODC Conversation - April 2, 2013
- Imagine: Henderson Hopkins and the new model for education - January 9, 2013
- Baltimore Sun Op-Ed: Three steps for school reform in 2013 - January 8, 2013
- Student Book Collecting Contest kicking off - December 7, 2012
- Video: “Here comes the Common Core” discussion at SOE - December 5, 2012
- Poll: Who do you think would be a better President for educators? - October 24, 2012